Friday 25 July 2014

The never ending cycle of forgotten food blogs - scone recipe included.

I've found myself back here on a random Friday evening after plans have been cancelled, impromptu baking done and a large gin & tonic consumed, with the itch to write a post. Keeping up with this blog has clearly never been my strong suit, however much I'd like to motivate myself to but I'm hoping this will be more than my normal yearly post.

A lot has changed in my life since I last updated my blog, in fact pretty much every aspect, excluding friends and family, is totally different. These changes were without doubt 100% for the better and I've found myself in a very happy place. A large amount of this happiness has come from my current job as a pasty chef, which I've been doing for just over a year at a hotel on Park Lane. I still can not believe how much I've learnt in this time and how it has caused such a drastic change in the way I work in the kitchen. I suppose this little update is my way of giving an insight in to my career and to document the recipes I use, try out and want to give a go.

I'll start with something simple, quick and already in my head so there will be no need to go searching for a recipe and method. Its a timeless classic and something I have to make on a very regular basis so I like to think they are pretty darn good. I've also included some nice variations at the end to give some inspiration.


Scones
Makes about 15 if using 6cm cutter

500g plain flour
35g Baking powder
1 pinch of salt
75g Butter - cold
100g suger
2 eggs
165g buttermilk


  1.  Start by weighing out the flour, baking powder and salt in the mixing bowl and mix briefly. You can use a stand mixer or food processor too, which I would recommend, as long as you're very careful not to over mix. 
  2. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix until you have a breadcrumb like consistency.
  3. Next add the sugar and any extra dry ingredients such as raisins. 
  4. Lastly, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk and slowly pour on the flour with the mixer running. As soon as the dough comes together to form a ball, stop mixing! You don't want to over mix and end up with rock hard scones. 
  5. Tip the dough on to a floured surface and pat in to a flat-ish rectangle shape, do not start to knead or work the dough. Take a rolling pin and roll until you its about 1.5cm thick, turning the dough 90 degrees every so often to ensure a level surface. Then take the dough and fold it in half, like a book. Repeat this process 2 to 3 times until you have a lovely and smooth top and a thickness of 1.5cm again. 
  6. Take your cutter, dip in flour and cut, making sure not to jiggle from side to side. Just cut straight down and lift off again, this will help the scones to rise! 
  7. Place the scones on a baking try and leave to rest for 20-30 minutes where they will begin to rise. 
  8. Take some egg wash and brush the tops, leaving the sides clean and ready to puff upwards.
  9. Bake at 200 degrees for 8 minutes, check colour and add 2 extra minutes if needed. 

Variations


Orange and cranberry - Add the grated zest of 1 orange to the flour at the beginning and 50g of dried cranberries roughly chopped with the sugar.

Rosewater - Add 1/2 or 1 tsp (depending on personal preference on strength) to the egg mixture.

Sultana - 50g sultanas with the sugar





No comments:

Post a Comment