Thursday 4 June 2015

Mackerel fillets with beetroot and horseradish.

It's coming up to my last week at my current workplace and I've managed to buy some fish and seafood from them at a very reasonable price, ready to stock up my best friend, the freezer. So expect a theme to my blog posts over the coming months as I try my hand at all things oceanic. Don't panic, I'm sure there will be something for those that aren't friends with fish. 

I thought I'd start with mackerel fillets as I'm attempting something like a health kick and have started attending a gym(!) It was designed to be ideal for a post workout meal, an oily fish packed with omega three, fresh veg and some light carbs too. I know very little as to what makes a good meal after the gym but this is what I imagine it would be and that's good enough for me. 

The unsung hero on this plate for me is the lowly beetroot. It's an absolute favourite of mine, especially with a salad! I always try to buy the ready boiled vacuum packed packets in the salad section as they last for yonks. Have it cold on the side of a plate, blitz up with vegetable stock for a soup or roasted. It's a much more interesting alternative to carrots. It also pairs very well with horseradish, as does our friend the mackerel. Who said three is a crowd? 



Mackerel fillets with beetroot and horseradish sauce. 
Serves 2

4 mackerel fillets (2 whole fish)
1 large handful of new potatoes
2 whole boiled beetroot cut in to cubes
5 or 6 asparagus spears cut in to smaller pieces
Hot horseradish or even better fresh root.

Start by getting the new potatoes on the boil or whatever type of potatoes you prefer. 

Then take the fish fillets and put them skin side up, take a sharp knife and make  3 or 4 slits in the skin being careful not to go all the way through. I didn't get a photo of this as I didn't remember until I'd already put one lot in the pan but you can kind of see in the final shot. 



Get a frying pan very hot and then add a little oil. Place the fillets in skin side down and hold for a few seconds to stop them from curling, the slits will help this too. Let them sizzle away, the skin acting as a nice little barrier for the fish. They should be cooked in about 6-8 minutes depending on thickness. 



Next just cube up the beetroot and put to one side then cut the asparagus for quick cooking. About 2 minutes before the potatoes are done add in your asparagus. 



When everything is ready, drain the veg, flip your fillets over to skin side up, take off the heat and serve with horseradish sauce mixed with a little light mayo (or double cream/creme fraiche if you're being naughty.)

No comments:

Post a Comment