Tuesday 9 August 2011

Yes you MexiCAN

I've decided to distract myself from the news with my food blog as I'm just getting too angry at what is going on in London at the moment. Last week was definitely Mexican week for me as pretty much every meal had a Mexican theme to it. I even hosted a Mexican evening with friends from work which was meant to involve lots of food and drink but ended up with more of the latter. I did manage to make some Quesadillas and nachos in between blending up batches of makeshift margaritas but of course the idea of taking photos of them didn't pop in to my head at the time. However I did have extra of the ingredients left over then next day so when it came to finding a hangover cure I decided to remake the quesadillas and hoped they would do the trick. And that they did! Those lovely toasty cheese filled pockets are perfect for when you're feeling a little low and need a pick me up. They are also perfect for using up things in your fridge as you really can put anything you like in them! I'm going to put a very basic recipe here but really it can be changed to whatever ingredients you choose. All you need is the tortillas and some cheese and then the world is your oyster.

Quesadilla:
Makes lunch for 2 or 1 hungry person

2 tortilla wraps
Half a red pepper cut in to little pieces
Some finely sliced spring onions
Some freshly chopped coriander
Fresh chopped chili to taste
Lots of lovely grated cheese, whichever is your favourite (cheddar and red Leicester are good, try mexicana cheese too)
Any meat of your choosing, I had some roast chicken in the fridge so used that but you could use anything or nothing!

The best way to do this is mix all your ingredients, except the tortillas of course, in a bowl and then pile them on top of the first tortilla to create a nice layer and then top off with the other tortilla. I chose to put the first tortilla in the pan already and then top it so that I didn't have to try and move the quesadilla once assembled. Then all you need to do is put the lovely little parcel in a pan over a medium heat. You want the cheese to melt so that it gets stuck together inside but also for the tortilla to brown and crisp up on the outside. Once the tortilla reaches a nice golden colour on the first side, you need to be skillful and flip it without all the filling falling out. Cook the same way on the second side and once all the cheese has melted and you have a nice crispy quesadilla, remove from the pan on to a chopping board. Cut in to quarters that you can pick up with your hands and eat easily. Serve with a little sour cream, salsa or guacamole. Whatever takes your fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment