Saturday 2 May 2015

German sausages and the marvel of lidl.

I hadn't visited a lidl properly since my time at university and even then it was just because of the excitement of a new shop (being a student full-time has its dull days.) However recently I'd been told that they do some really good quality products at ridiculously low prices. Fortunately there is a lidl about 5 minutes away from my house so when I had the opportunity and some space in my fridge and freezer I headed down to have a look. There is a great selection and the prices are definitely reasonable, especially for the German sausages. I stocked up on a couple for breakfasts and dinners, putting a packet in the freezer. Fast forward a few weeks to a rather sad looking bank account and a fully stuff freezer, it was time to bring out the sausage. 

When I normally cook bratwurst or bockwurst, I do a pretty tasty currywurst after falling in love with it in Germany. This time I wanted a change, so I researched some recipes to use with my bockwurst (a smoked version of bratwurst.) One of the common recipes that came up was bockwurst or pork with a creamy mustard sauce. I decided this would work well seeing as it was a particularly cold spring day. I served it with mashed potatoes to soak up all the gravy and some green beans on the side. Simple and comforting. 




Bockwurst with a creamy mustard sauce. 
Serves 2

Start with a knob of butter. About 40g. Let it melt down then add in a shallot, diced finely. Cook them until transparent and soft then sprinkle over a teaspoon of flour, you want a bit to thicken but not enough to turn your sauce to the thickness of bird's custard. 



Once you've whisked it in and the flour has cooked out, add a generous splash of beer or white wine, depending on preference. I went for a lovely German beer we have had in the flat the last few months. Let the beer reduced down a bit until thickened slightly. 


At this point you can add in the mustard, Dijon, about 1-2tsp should do it. You can always add more in at the end if you feel it needs it. Lastly add another generous dash of double cream. Let this all boil down until you have a lovely pouring sauce. Taste then add salt and pepper. 



I grilled the bockwurst and served it all with mash, green beans and chopped parsley stirred through the sauce at the last minute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment