Monday 18 May 2015

Homemade tortillas

I've always thought having some tortilla wraps in the kitchen is a good idea. They are so versatile you can easily have a wide number of breakfasts, lunches or dinners from these little heroes. I normally keep mine in the freezer as they defrost so quickly in a warm oven.
Having said that, despite how much I love tortillas, I've never actually made them from scratch. I suppose I've always thought that seeing as they are there to make rustling up dinner easier then I should buy them. This time I made the extra effort and I was glad I did. They were soft but had a slight crunch on the outside that the shop bought counterpart lacks. I served mine with a bean stew, steak and guacamole on the side (recipes to follow.)



Tortillas
Makes 8 medium or 6 large

275g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
50g lard at room temperature (butter can substitute this)
150g warm water

Combine the dry ingredients then take the lard and rub it to it, until fully incorporated. Then add the water until you have a sticky dough. Or if you have a mixer chuck it all in and use a dough hook. Work the dough until soft and bouncy. If it feels too sticky and some flour but it is meant to be quite a wet dough. 

Leave in a covered bowl for 30 minutes to rest. 




Tip the dough on a floured surface and then split in to 8 equal balls. Take the first ball and shape in to a disc. Put a heavy bottomed pan or skillet on a medium high heat. 

Roll out the dough as thinly as possible using flour to stop it sticking, it may feel fragile but it will hold up to some pressure. (I did read about being able to roll in between two pieces of a freezer bag though I didn't try it. Might help with the sticky dough.) 
Once rolled, carefully place in the hot pan. While that's cooking, carry on rolling the next tortilla. 
The first one is ready top flip when bubbles appear and it begins to colour slightly. 





Continue with this cycle of cooking one while rolling the next, it will speed up the whole process. Serve them immediately or allow to cool, wrap and store in the fridge or freezer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment