Tuesday 10 March 2015

Thinning Thai Tofu Soup


After a fairly gluttonous period of Christmas, holiday and two birthdays, I've started to really feel the need for a diet in my life. Before Christmas I loosely followed the 5:2 diet and managed to drop just over half a stone which I quickly gained back and then some. So here I am, back on the wagon and trying to find some fairly exciting but low calorie meals. I had some tofu in the fridge from my previous low calorie miso soup that week and had just been watching a cooking show based in thailand so here came the inspiration. I had a little search for some tofu soup recipes and manage to come up with a lemongrass and ginger broth. It hit the spot exactly, light and healthy but very filling. Winner.


Lemongrass and Tofu Soup
serves 2

1 stick lemongrass, smashed but kept whole.
1 small piece of ginger, chopped in to matchsticks (roughly thumb sized)
1/2 shallot, diced.
1/2 red chilli, chopped
1 chopped kaffir lime leaf 
handful of mushrooms, chopped
french beans
peas
1 vegetable stock cube made in to stock
1 or 2 tbsp soy sauce
Fish sauce to taste
Juice of 1 lime



tofu, cut in to cubes (I prefer silken but the other is fine)
spring onions, chopped
Handful of Thai basil ripped in pieces (holy basil)



Take the lemongrass, ginger, shallot, chilli and stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes to allow the lemongrass to infuse. Next add the beans and mushrooms, cook until tender then add the peas, soy sauce, fish sauce and lime. Remove the lemongrass. Once ready and boiling hot, pour in the bowl over the top of the tofu, spring onions and basil. Enjoy

I also added a good squeeze of this amazing sriracha sauce because I believe it's delicious with almost anything. Seriously buy a bottle, it's the best chilli sauce in my opinion. Nom 

No comments:

Post a Comment