Sunday 29 March 2015

Trendy Taiwanese Buns

It's time for our Asian adventure to come to an end but fear not, I've saved the best instalment until last. If you like dim sum, in particular char siu buns, then you'll love this. 

Gau bao popped up on my radar last summer while going to a few food markets, in particular the kerb Saturday's. There was a stall selling them with the most unbelievably delicious smells but also an almighty queue. I debated joining the end but the look on my other halfs face told me this wasn't a good idea. Since then I've been hankering after them, so much so that I decided to just make my own. They might not be perfect or authentic but to me they were everything I was hoping they would be. Light and soft, like a cloud ready for any slow cooked meat and a sauce of your choosing to fill it


Taiwanese Bao (Gua bao)
Makes roughly 20 buns

375g strong flour
20g fresh yeast or 7g fast action yeast 
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
30g lard or vegetable suet
10g sugar
1 tsp salt
120g water
80g milk (I'd be tempted to try all milk next time) 



Mix dough for 5 minutes until it comes together. If it's really tight then add a little water, only about 20g. Then remove the dough, shape in to a round ball, grease the bowl, put back and cover with cling film or a damp cloth. Prove in a warm place for 1 to 1.5 hours until doubled in size. 



Next knock back the dough and then scale out in to 30g balls. Rolled nicely and put on to trays with enough space inbetween to allow to grow. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to prove again for 30 minutes. 



Lastly take the balls and roll in to an oval shape. Fold in half then place back on the tray with little squares of baking parchment underneath for the final prove. 


Leave for 30 minutes until they have risen then get your steamer boiling and steam for 10 minutes. You can make and cook them ahead of time and then just steam them again for 3 minutes to heat through


No comments:

Post a Comment