Tuesday 10 March 2015

Yorkshire pudding

So we are going back to the basics for this post with the good old Yorkshire pudding. Believe it or not I had not successfully made a Yorkshire pudding until about a month ago, so really until that point I wasn't 100% British. Thankfully I have now earned my badge of fluffy pudding honour and can safely say I'm totally British. Hopefully when you've read this and you do your next roast dinner, you'll give it a go too. 




They are seriously easy as long as you follow a few steps and obviously you know they are pretty darn delicious too. I used Jamie Oliver's recipe as I find a majority of his work really well, though I did take a few tips from reading online about resting the batter. 




Yorkshire Puddings
makes 8 individual or 3 to 4 large

Vegetable oil/lard/dripping (I used lard as it was in the fridge)
2 large eggs
100 g plain flour
100 ml milk
pinch salt

I usually make my mix when I'm prepping the veg for the roast which is about 2 to 3 hours before I intend on baking the puddings. I then leave it covered on the side at room temperature. 

To make the mix take a bowl with the flour inside. Making a well in the middle, drop the eggs inside and start to slowly whisk, incorporating a small amount of flour at a time. Once about half is mixed in you can add a little milk. Just keep whisking and adding until you have a smooth, lumpless batter. 

Once your meat is cooked and out the oven, whacked your oven up to full so you can finish the roast potatoes and heat the oil for the puddings. Put a small amount of oil/lard in each well of a deep muffin tray or Yorkshire pudding tray for larger ones. Put the tray in the oven until really hot and smoking. Quickly pour your mix in the tray, being careful not to overfill and then pop them into the oven. Leave the door closed, don't open it at all until the time is up! They should take between 10/15 minutes. Remove when nicely golden and risen. Serve immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment