Tuesday 3 March 2015

Lazy weekend French toast

One of my favourite things about the weekend is having the time to prepare a nice breakfast, sit down and enjoy it. This is a luxury I don't get with my current working hours so it's something pretty special to me. Searching through my sardine-tin-like freezer I found a loaf of brioche I made a few months back so I took it out for a special breakfast and to make some room for more things to be stuffed in. The only thing that this spelt out to me was delicious, soft and sweet French toast. I chose to do it american style, rather than the traditional French pain perdu, with crispy bacon, scrambled eggs and maple syrup. What a feast! 



French toast
Serves 2

3 eggs
400ml milk
Freshly grated nutmeg
1 big pinch cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
Slices of old bread (could be any unsliced loaf/brioche)
A knob of butter


Firstly make your egg mix by putting all the ingredients except the bread and butter in a bowl and giving them a thorough mix making sure there are no eggy pieces. 




Next put the mix in a flat tray or dish that will fit your slices of bread lying flat. Add the bread too and soak for at least 10 minutes, this is the secret to lovely soft and fluffy French toast as most recipes tell you to do a quick dunk. You could even prepare the mix and soak over night, saving time in the morning, making it even lazier. 




Once soaked, put a pan on the heat and get it nice and hot. Add the butter and a drizzle of oil to stop it burning and place the bread in to the pan. Leave until golden brown and then turn. Serve with bacon and eggs or Nutella and sliced bananas. Let your imagination run wild!



Tip: to get even, crispy flat bacon. Line a tray with tin foil or baking parchment and lay out the streaky bacon. Place a tray or heavy flat ovenproof pan/dish the same size on top. Put in the oven at 180 degrees until done to your liking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment