Tuesday 24 March 2015

The start of an Asian adventure - Beijing dumplings.

Lately I've been making a list of recipes and dishes that I want to try out so that if I have some free time and the inclination to be in the kitchen, I have inspiration close at hand. A few of these dishes had a similar theme and I convieniently had some of the major ingredients in the fridge/freezer so I thought I would kill several birds with one stone. I had the weekend off and managed to rope my other half in to spending the day with me, telling him we would go off to do something fun in central London. Little did he know, 'fun' was 'go to Chinatown, buy ingredients and come straight home to cook with them.' I'm lucky enough that he obliged willingly, carried the heavy bags and only got grumpy a few times while I faffed around. 



Once home, I realised how much work I had given myself but I had spent a stupid about in SeeWoo supermarket so there was no turning back. I set to work, making my dough for the Bao buns and pickled cucumber (recipes to follow) then I got started on the dumplings. I used ready made dumpling wrappers this time, though I aim to make them from scratch at some point soon. Dumplings are one of my most favourite foods so I'm very happy this recipe makes a large amount. They are now sitting happily in my freezer ready to boil in less than 15 minutes. They are best served with some Chinese rice vinegar (which I now own as well as the whole contents of an Asian supermarket) and chilli oil mixed together to your liking. 




Pork and cabbage dumplings (Jiaozi)
Makes about 20-25 dumplings 

100g finely chopped Chinese cabbage or chives 
250g minced pork
1 and a half finely grated fresh ginger
1tbsp Chinese wine (shaoxing rice wine)
1tsp oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp light soy
1/2tsp dark soy
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp water

Take all your ingredients in bowl and stir until totally mixed together. Once mixed, set up a little filling station with a small bowl of water, your mince, the wrappers and a tray. 


Take a small spoon of mix (less than you would think, if you fill it too much it's difficult to wrap) and place in the middle of the wrapper. 


Then take your thumb, dip it in the water and brush it round the inside edge of half the circle. Then fold in half, squeezing the middle bit so it sticks with the water. 


Once folded, squeeze down either side so it's tightly secured and there are no air bubbles. Repeat until all the mix has gone. To cook just boil some water and drop them in. They should only take about 8 minutes maximum but the centre should be firm when squeezed. Eat on their own or add to Asian soups as a tasty alternative to prawns etc. 



No comments:

Post a Comment